Unfair Compatition for Women

Since the time I was a little girl I was obsessed with being pretty. I always felt I needed to look just like the girls on the magazines or T.V. As I grew up and got into relationships I would always wonder if my boyfriend said to me, " your the most beautiful girl in the world." I would compare myself to the women that I seen on every magazine stand and feel that they were perfect. So I would try more and more things to get me the same looks. Things like airbrushed skin, flawless white teeth, and perfect hair everyday of the week seemed to be pretty hard to do. I truly wanted to be the best though.
I thought about this for years and then realized one day that I was competing with false images. After seeing a show on how much editing is done to even the best looking models before they get printed in a magazine, I knew my goal was out of reach. These women had professional makeup artist, lighting, and computer programs that fix any problem they have. The images the public sees have all been doctored up. I was competing with perfection, but needed to realize that it was not all "real". So in a way it still bothered me because I know when my boyfriend sees these pictures he will just see the beauty, not the editing or airbrushing that is done. I had to except the way the world is or I would never be happy.
My point is, I think so many times these magazines or pictures make woman feel insecure. This is sad to me because there is no way any of us can compete with this. I don't have professionals, lighting, and programs to fix me before I step out. We can only work with what we have and what we were given. The best I can do is take care of myself and eat a good diet and learn to be happy with what I have. If I am confident and happy then my mate will be as well.

No comments: